If you’re a divorced parent, you may be wondering how to handle your child’s relationship with your ex’s new partner. While it can be tricky to navigate, there are ways to make things work in the best interest of your child. Here are some tips on how to do just that.

First and foremost, it’s important to remember that your child should always come first. You need to put their well-being, safety and security above anything else, including your own feelings. If you can’t be civil to your ex’s new partner yourself, then it’s best not to address them directly.

Instead, If possible, try to have a conversation with your ex about how you’d like things to be handled. If they’re not willing to cooperate, then you may need to seek legal help. You can file for an ORDER OF PROTECTION, which will keep the new partner from having any contact with your child. This is not an easy process, and most of the time, it is only temporary. But it will do two things:

  1. It will show your Ex that you are very serious about who is allowed to be around and have influence on your children’s environment and…
  2. It will give you and your Ex some time to cool off and figure out a long-term plan. Normally the standard order lasts 72 hours, but can be extended up to 2 weeks in some cases.

If you’re dating again and your new partner has children of their own, it’s important to be mindful of how much exposure they have to your kids. You don’t want them feeling overwhelmed or uncomfortable. Try to schedule get-togethers for neutral ground, like a park or playground, rather then having them over at your place.

While it’s never easy when our children are exposed to new relationships with our exes, it’s important to remember that we always want what’s best for them. With a little bit of communication and cooperation, you can make sure your child has the best possible chance at a smooth transition into their new family structure.

So, can you keep someone away from your children? Yes, but you will have to show good reason to do so, and will most likely need very compelling evidence to convince the court that it is in the best interest of the child.